Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Morals

I believe in the soft determinism viewpoint that we have a choice in our lives, but there are many things about us that we cannot control. Things such as our genetics, which determine how we look and think, are completely out of our control from the time that we are born. However, we can make choices in our lives about most everything else. Obviously, my upbringing can lead me to a lot of different outcomes in my life. The way I am gives me a myriad of choices in, say, my career. I could be good as a game programmer, and psychologist, or a paramedic, and be good at all of those jobs. It is my choice which one I end up taking.

So, in one sentence, Determinism gives me my options, and my free will takes one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment