Before reading this, let me clear it up that I am not an atheist. I am agnostic, meaning I am not "on the fence," as some people seem to think. I believe there is no way to know if there is or is not a God, as neither side has proof. I believe everything is a possibility. However, I am also anti-religious, as religion is 100% believing that God does exist. Which would also mean that I do not agree with atheism as well.
A lot of people base their morals on religion, and I personally believe that is the worst thing that anyone could possibly base their morals off of. Religious corporations, as in any organized religion, uses fear as a base of keeping their members blind and faithful. Hell is the most prominent fear tactic among religions, and that forces people to stay Christian, and forces them to follow morals that another ancient society believed in, which are usually culturally irrelevant in our society.
Plus, basing your morals off of religion is easy. There is no thinking involved, people just have to blindly follow what they were told. Never questioning, never wondering, never thinking for themselves. and because of this, many religious people say that I have no morals, and that morals cannot exist without religion. However, I do have morals, and I base them off of what I think is right, not from any fear or obligations that have been force-fed down my throat since I was a child.
So which theory of morals applies to you then?
ReplyDeleteBy the way, interesting points!