Friday, November 5, 2010

Caves of Truth

People believe what they see and hear because these are the prime senses that we use to perceive the world, especially sight. Most people associate these senses with truth. For example, I am aware that the computer in front of me exists. I can see it, I can hear it, And there is no doubt in my mind that it truly exists. In a way, the computer in front of me is absolute truth, because I can both see and hear it.

The same works for ideas. If it's something that people can see happening, and if it's something that they have heard their entire life, there is no reason for them to doubt its truth for they had no evidence against it. Unfortunately, the association of truth between ideas and objects should not be made.

For example, an object is easy to disprove. If someone were to show me that I cannot hear or see the computer in front of me, and that the computer was a "lie," I would easily believe them and refute the original truth that I had adopted. On the other hand, ideas that people have adopted as truth have often been refuted by evidence that they both cannot see or hear them. Unfortunately, people refuse to leave their "caves" and accept that the idea that they had adopted as truth is, in fact, a lie.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, especially when saying that for people to leave their "caves" would be overwhelming so it makes sense that they would be unable to accept that their truth is a lie. I see what you mean about the truth between ideas and objects and how they shouldn't be made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth does indead stem from doubt. If we don't doubt something we don't question and when we don't question we swallow thing blindly.
    Evidence is one of the tools of truth but in today's age evidence itself can be fabricated and changed.

    ReplyDelete